Saturday, January 15, 2011

1.15.2011

One week ago, I registered for my first half marathon! I've been thinking about it for awhile, and have always been clueless as to why someone would want to do the same activity for roughly two hours, give take roughly 45 minutes either way. Honestly, I consider myself too distractable to run for an entire 13 miles without tripping, falling, or veering off the route to say hi to a fuzzy kitty or a random, hopefully not rabid, puppy dog!

My first challenge was a question on the registration form. It asked me why I wanted to do this race. The only answer that came to mind was "I'm curious". Heck, I can walk that far, probably. I could even run most of it, maybe. At the very least, I can crawl the last few miles if necessary. I beg you not to challenge my logic. It's working for me right now...That sums it up. I'm curious as to why people love this so much.

The next more practical challenge was how to train for such an event, in the middle of winter, in Minnesota. Armed with my home treadmill, my newly acquired gym membership (http://www.suburbanhealthclub.com/), and heaven  forbid the great outdoors--if I find that my treadmill dies, or the gym spontaneously combusts, I have set a training program (www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon) that will end exactly when it is supposed to end, on April 16th.

My training officially starts on January 24th! I'm counting the days with trepidation.

2 comments:

Colleen said...

January 24th will be a great day! I'm hoping to seek some inspiration from your blog - working out that is. Happy blogging!

Jena K said...

Thanks Colleen. Happy exercising, and may your Captain Crunch always be full of berries!