Friday, January 21, 2011

1.21.2011

T-3 days and counting...As my workouts have steadily improved over the course of the week, so too has my anticipation of Monday, January 24th!

A very intelligent man I know tried to define for me the difference between exercising and training. He told me that the difference is in the intensity of the activity. By this standard, I have just been excercising for about 7 years. What I am committing to over the next several months will be intensity. In short, speed work...

Yesterday, at the gym, I was on the treadmill doing my comfortable 4 mile run. I though to myself, I can do this pace forever...Then I got it. I was exercising. I wasn't training. Feeling a bit wimpy at this revelation, and with a bit of taunting about the "baby weights" I was using to bench press, I "trained" during the weight session. I moved out of my comfort zone, increased weights where it was safe, and got a little sore.

Today, I can honestly admit that my 75 minute bike session was exercise. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. On January 24th, I start training!

2 comments:

E said...

Let's try this again. Three words for you in your quest: Coffee, pasta and heavy metal.

Jena K said...

I think you forgot cheese and more coffee!