Tuesday, January 18, 2011

1.18.2011

T-Six days and counting! Today my workout play consisted of four miles on the treadmill, followed by a light weightlifting session, and a bit of forced relaxation in the tanning bed.

First off, workouts aren't always cleansing or invigorating no matter what level you're exercising at. If you're just starting out, or if you have been at it for a long time, some days just stink. I would rate my run this morning at about a toe jam infested smelly sock level--meaning that there are worse things that can happen, but there are definitely much more enjoyable running days. About half way through, I really wanted to stop and take a break. Instead, I lied to myself saying, "Man up princess! Just get through another quarter mile!" It actually got me over the bump, and the rest of the run was manageable.

Coming off such a stinky run, I moved into my weightlifting for the day. Here, my brain settled in, and the toe jams and smelly socks became more like over-ripe fruit. It was defintely an improvement! I was able to settle in, and focus on the various exercises. One of my friends on FB recently posted something about taking joy in the smaller things in life. With that in mind, I focused on each rep of each set of each exercise. And then, when I was doing squats, the sun broke from the clouds for a glorious minute, and if I closed my eyes, I could imagine what it will be like in a few short months when the sun is warm and everything is green. In the end, it wasn't a bad session at all. I found some peace.

Finally, I topped everything off with some forced relaxation in the tanning bed. In no, way, shape or form could this 20 minutes of warm bliss smell bad. In fact, I could actually smell the beach and summer! (Of course, it's inconsequential that I was also using summer-smelling lotion!)

No comments: